THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant Engineer (Mechanical), Grade 20 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for three Assistant Engineer (Mechanical) positions in the Office of Facilities Planning. This Office is primarily responsible for code enforcement, life safety, and health safety in all public K-12 schools and BOCES in the State, outside of New York City. Under the supervision of higher-level engineers, the incumbents of these positions will perform professional engineering work to support the review and inspection of capital construction projects. Other duties of these positions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist with engineering review of capital construction projects for all New York State public school districts outside of New York City;
- Perform on-site inspections of the mechanical and electrical installations of capital construction projects to ensure that plans, specifications and contracts are in compliance with applicable codes, rules and regulations, including, but not limited to, Commissioner’s Regulations, General Municipal Law, Americans with Disabilities Act, life safety code, safety regulations, etc.;
- Prepare written reports on project revisions and corrections, notify consulting licensed design professionals of project revisions and corrections, and monitor for revisions, corrections and/or change orders, as applicable;
- Review change orders for compliance with codes, rules and regulations, and eligibility for building aid;
- Assist with review of public school building energy consumption and operations in compliance with NYS Energy Code, and provide direction to improve energy performance;
- Provide technical assistance to school districts regarding proper facilities maintenance, life safety, building code compliance, policy issues (i.e. green cleaning chemicals, pesticide use, carbon monoxide detection compliance, ADA compliance), photovoltaic systems installations, health and safety issues (i.e. indoor air quality problems, lead in water or paint, mold, PCB’s, chemical storage, pool drains, asbestos and radon); and
- Perform special projects as assigned.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant Engineer (Mechanical).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title.
Provisional Appointment: If the eligible list has fewer than 3 acceptors, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For a non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant Engineer AND provide proof of passing the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination by the time of appointment OR candidates must provide proof of passing the NCEES FE examination AND have one year of full-time qualifying mechanical engineering experience OR candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree or higher in the following fields: Aerospace Engineering, Architectural Engineering, Architectural Engineering Technology, Building Engineering, Construction Engineering, Construction Engineering Technology, Construction Engineering Management, Construction Engineering Management Technology, Fire Protection Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Nuclear Engineering, Nuclear Engineering Technology, or Engineering Science with a recognized concentration in any of the above listed engineering degrees AND one year of full-time experience in mechanical engineering AND provide proof of passing the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination by the time of appointment.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
These will be permanent or non-permanent provisional appointments. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and proof of passing the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination will be required. These positions may require occasional, including overnight, statewide travel.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $79,577 based on annual performance advances.
Candidate review will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1794) of the positions in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.