THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant in Educational Testing, Grade 22 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Assistant in Educational Testing position in the Office of State Assessment. This Office is responsible for the development and statewide administration of all State examinations for elementary, intermediate, and high school students. Duties of this position will include but not be limited to the following:
- Provide information, technical assistance, and policy guidance related to State assessments to school personnel, professional organizations, State and federal governmental agencies, and the public as needed;
- Communicate with individual schools and districts by telephone, mail, and email to obtain, handle, store, administer, and score State assessments;
- Assist the Director and Bureau Chief in planning and carrying out routine tasks and in the supervision of subordinate professional and clerical staff who are engaged in handling and processing school requests for State examinations and in the accurate and timely distribution of NYS examinations to schools;
- Coordinate the ongoing design and continual improvement of the online examination request system for schools in regard to NYS examinations;
- Monitor the progress of assigned examinations through the various printing stages, including arranging consultant review, and reviewing items and examinations submitted by contractors, and
- Act as liaison with the Office of Information & Technology Services (ITS) for technical matters concerning the State’s testing program.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Educational Testing.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have a Master’s degree AND two years of the qualifying experience OR possess a Master’s degree or higher in psychometrics, statistics, educational research, school counseling, guidance counseling, tests and measurement, or psychology, AND one year of the qualifying experience. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Assistant in Educational Testing when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Qualifying Experience: Experience in a position in which the majority of your duties involved developing, analyzing, or constructing large-scale tests and/or large–scale scoring rubrics; administering various aspects of a large-scale testing program on a professional level, such as the review, analysis, and interpretation of test score data, the development, review and editing of examinations, test manuals, and other test materials; or reviewing or re-rating open-ended responses.
Non-Qualifying Experience: Constructing or administering tests for individual classroom or school district use is not qualifying. Experience limited to editing tests is not qualifying. Experience in Software testing is non-qualifying. Experience in the assessment of mental or physical health is non-qualifying.
This will be a permanent appointment or a temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Assistant in Educational Testing when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must meet the minimum qualifications and possess a current 55b/c eligibility letter. Appointment is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
All NYSED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $95,392 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to P12jobs@nysed.gov (email applications are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2163/19836) of the position in the subject line of your e-mail and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.