THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant in Educational Testing, Grade 22 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department's Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Assistant in Educational Testing position in the Office of State Assessment. This Office is responsible for the development of Regents Examinations as well as supplemental materials. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide assistance, both oral and written, in all phases of test development and/or test administration to Department staff, contractors, school personnel and the public;
- Review technical manuals, proposals, and reports submitted by contractors and provide necessary feedback;
- Assist with the preparation and review of examinations, answer sheets, and supplementary test materials in assigned subject areas or grade levels;
- Assist with the arrangement of examination committees and/or committees of Content Advisory Panel (CAP) members, school administrators and key stake holders;
- Monitor the progress of assigned examinations through the various development stages, including arranging committee reviews, and the review of items and examinations submitted by education specialists;
- Maintain and expand a pool of NYS teachers and contractors participating in test development activities in assigned subject areas, as needed, including contacting, training, and assigning them a wide range of test development tasks; and
- Supervise lower level staff as needed.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Educational Testing.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.4 Transfer: A candidate may be eligible for nomination for Section 70.4 transfer to Assistant in Educational Testing if they have standing on the Civil Service eligible list for this title and are currently a New York State employee in a title allocated at Grade 20 or higher.
Provisional Appointment: If the eligible list has fewer than three candidates, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have a master’s degree AND:
Either 1. Possess three years of qualifying experience;
OR 2. Possess a master’s degree or higher in psychometrics, statistics, educational research, school counseling, guidance counseling, test and measurements, or psychology AND two years of qualifying experience.
Qualifying Experience: Experience in a position in which the majority of your duties involved developing, analyzing, or constructing large-scale tests and/or large-scale scoring rubrics; administering various aspects of a large-scale testing program on a professional level, such as the review, analysis and interpretation of test score data, the development, review and editing of examinations, test manuals, and other test materials; or reviewing or re-rating open-ended responses.
Non-Qualifying Experience: Constructing or administering tests for individual classroom or school district use is not qualifying. Experience limited to editing tests is not qualifying. Experience in Software testing is non-qualifying. Experience in the assessment of mental or physical health is non-qualifying.
: This will be a permanent or non-permanent provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $88,124 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 5, 2019 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1965/06054) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.