THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant in Educational Testing, Grade 22 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Assistant in Educational Testing position in the Office of State Assessment. This Office is responsible for the development and statewide administration of all State examinations for elementary, intermediate and high school students. Duties for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide direction and assistance, both orally and written, in all phases of test development and/or test administration to Department staff, education specialists, school personnel and the public;
- Review technical manuals, proposals, and reports submitted by contractors and provide necessary feedback;
- Prepare and review examinations, answer sheets, and supplementary test materials in assigned subject areas or grade levels;
- Arrange and chair examination committees and/or committees of CAP members, school administrators and key stake holders;
- Monitor the progress of assigned examinations through the various printing stages, including arranging committee reviews and the review of items and examinations submitted by education specialists;
- Maintain and expand a pool of New York State teachers and education specialists participating in test development activities in assigned subject areas;
- Process time sheets and travel documents for education specialists; and
- Supervise subordinate professional and clerical staff.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Educational Testing.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Assistant in Educational Testing Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.4 Transfer: A candidate may be eligible for nomination for Section 70.4 transfer to Assistant in Educational Testing if they have standing on the Civil Service eligible list for this title and are currently a New York State employee in a title allocated at Grade 20 or higher.
Provisional Appointment: If the eligible list has fewer than 3 candidates, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have a master’s degree AND:
Either 1. Possess two years of qualifying experience;
OR 2. Possess a master’s degree or higher in psychometrics, statistics, educational research, school counseling, guidance counseling, test and measurements, or psychology AND one year of qualifying experience.
Qualifying Experience: Experience in a position in which the majority of your duties involved developing, analyzing, or constructing large-scale tests and/or large-scale scoring rubrics, administering various aspects of a large-scale testing program on a professional level, such as the review, analysis and interpretation of test score data, the development, review and editing of examinations, test manuals, and other test materials or reviewing or re-rating open-ended responses are qualifying.
Non-Qualifying Experience: Experience in constructing or administering tests for individual classroom or school district use, experience limited to editing tests, experience in Software testing, and experience in the assessment of mental or physical health are non-qualifying.
This will be contingent permanent or non-permanent provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $88,124 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 24, 2019 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1896/06056) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.