THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant in Education Research, Grade 22 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Assistant in Education Research position in the Office of Special Education (OSE). This Office works to promote educational equity and excellence for students with disabilities, oversees the implementation of federal and State laws and policies for students with disabilities, provides general supervision and monitoring of all public and private schools, serves New York State preschool and school-age students with disabilities, and provides technical assistance to parents and school districts. Under the direction of the Supervisor in Education of Children with Disabilities, the incumbent of this position is responsible for activities to ensure Department compliance with the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Monitor statewide impartial hearings through the Impartial Hearing Reporting System (IHRS) with follow-up identification of next steps needed when an impartial hearing officer (IHO) or school district receives and/or disregards monitoring notices sent by IHRS;
- Provide detailed technical assistance to school district personnel regarding their data input into the IHRS including specific data needed for out-of-rotation IHO appointments, case consolidations and other unique situations;
- Provide technical assistance, by phone or email, to school districts, parents and/or other individuals regarding IHRS and the impartial hearing process;
- Implement data changes requested by districts for a variety of reasons as well as recognizing when/if the current Unit procedures for such data changes may need revision;
- Perform detailed data queries in IHRS and Cognos Analytics as well as other programs that pull data from the IHRS in order to provide needed reports including reports to meet federal mandates;
- Recognize and identify elements in the IHRS Help File that need revision based on data and/or policy decisions;
- Assist in the identification, evaluation and effectiveness of needed enhancements to the IHRS and successfully test such enhancements prior to production; and
- Observe the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) by which impartial hearing data is electronically transferred to the IHRS, including understanding the IHRS edit checks that prevent such data from being transferred and assist in resolving any data transfer issues.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Education Research.
Section 70.4 Transfer: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for transfer under Section 70.4 of the Civil Service Law to Assistant in Education Research if they are a current NYS employee with one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-20 or higher AND have standing on the eligible list for this title.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title.
Provisional Appointment: If there are fewer than three acceptors on the eligible list, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have a master’s degree AND three years of professional experience where your primary duty is research. Two years of this experience must have been involved primarily with research on educational issues or topics.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
This will be a permanent or non-permanent provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $88,124 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 22, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1916/65257) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.