THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant in Education Improvement Services, Grade 22 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for four (4) Assistant in Education Improvement Services positions in the State Office for Religious and Independent Schools (SORIS). This Office serves the needs of students in over 1,800 state-recognized nonpublic schools and provides on-site school visits, opportunities for curriculum improvement and professional development activities, provides technical assistance and support, and oversees federal and State aid functions for nonpublic schools. This Office incorporates the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) mandated Ombudsman to ensure compliance with the equitable services requirements of the federal law. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in reviewing, evaluating and processing school or program improvement plans, school grant applications or proposals and supporting materials for federal or State compliance;
- Make recommendations for approval or disapproval of the proposed improvement plan, new or continued grant funding or continued monitoring;
- Monitor and conduct site visits for compliance with the school or program improvement plan or grant administration;
- Provide technical assistance to nonpublic, religious and independent schools, other public or private agencies or professional groups for the assigned program area;
- Advise and provide information on State reporting, accountability and program requirements;
- Assist with recommendations for remedial action as necessary to meet program requirements and ensures correction action for compliance is carried out;
- Develop written materials including guidance documents, letters and reports;
- Prepare and conduct workshops and training for school administrators and personnel;
- Assist in recommending policies and procedures to improve monitoring, reporting and accountability of schools to meet agency and program goals;
- Assist with conducting research and analyzing data to prepare documents to assist management in policy decision making; and
- Attend conferences and meetings with school officials and serves as liaison between NYSED and schools.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Education Improvement Services.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must meet the eligibility requirements and have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in any of the titles linked here: Section 70.1 Transfer Determinations Between Professional Educator Titles Grade 22, 26, and 28.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
These will be permanent appointments. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $95,392 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 5, 2022 to OHEjobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (see list below) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.