THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant Director Professional Licensing, M3 (Management/Confidential)
(Open to current NYS Employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Professions (OP) is seeking applicants for the position of Assistant Director Professional Licensing. Under the general direction of the Director of Professional Licensing, the Assistant Director Professional Licensing will assist in managing the issuance of credentials that authorize practice in more than 50 professions included in Title VIII of State Education Law. The incumbent of this position will assist to lead Division staff that work in cooperation with other parts of the OP. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in the planning, direction and coordination of the work of the Division of Professional Licensing Services, which includes the licensing of approximately 60,000 new professional licensees each year, the annual registration of approximately 325,000 licensees, and the issuance of limited permits;
- Oversee and lead the review of the day to day activities including but not limited to licensing, permit and other processes to increase efficiency and productivity;
- Assist in the development of policy recommendations on issues involving professional practice and participate in the strategic planning direction for the office;
- Lead and engage staff in workflow planning and processing reengineering to implement technological solutions and processing innovations to achieve OP goals and statutory mandates. Prepare for transition of processes to new computer system:
- Review and analyze performance data;
- Oversee various Division of Professional Licensing Services areas and use data to enhance coordination of efforts and resources, including but not limited to effective customer service operations, including the response to over 100,000 monthly customer contacts;
- Assist OP with the implementation of OP’s Modernization Project and assist in the design and implementation of technology solutions to improve the customer experience, as well as back-office processing.
- Promote ongoing training activities for all staff;
- Coordinate activities and foster effective communication between those units under direct supervision and other parts of the OP;
- Oversee compliance with routine personnel policy including time and attendance, discipline, and overtime; and
- Represent the Director in both internal and external meetings.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated to M-2 (SG-26/SG-27) or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Non-competitive Promotion: If there are three or fewer qualified candidates, a permanent appointment may be made as a non-competitive promotion pursuant to Section 52.7 of the Civil Service Law. To qualify, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Supervisor Professional Education Programs, Supervisor of Administrative Analysis, Associate in Professional Education, or Education Credentials Specialist 3.
In accordance with Section 52.7 of the Civil Service Law, this notice advises all employees of the New York State Education Department of our intention to conduct a non-competitive promotional examination for the position of Assistant Director Professional Licensing in Albany. Permanent appointment may be made by non-competitive promotion of an applicant who meets the position’s minimum qualifications, if a non-competitive examination is approved by the Department of Civil Service.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service as a Supervisor Professional Education Programs, Supervisor of Administrative Analysis, Associate in Professional Education, or Education Credentials Specialist 3. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Assistant Director Professional Licensing when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a contingent permanent or a temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Assistant Director Professional Licensing when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $128,142 through annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by July 4, 2022 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OP-1464/66360) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.