THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant Counsel, NS (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of the Professions is seeking to fill the position of Assistant Counsel in its Office of Professional Discipline’s (OPD) Hauppauge Office. Under the direction of the OPD management and a supervising attorney, the incumbent will participate in the development and review of investigations into allegations of professional misconduct. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide legal advice to OPD investigators and members of the various State boards for the professions;
- Engage in settlement negotiations in professional misconduct cases;
- Prepare for hearings and trying before panels of the various State boards: professional misconduct cases, moral character cases involving individuals seeking licensure, and restoration of license cases involving individuals whose licenses have been previously revoked or surrendered;
- Represent OPD before the Regents Review Committee, which reviews decisions of hearing panels in professional misconduct cases;
- Research and prepare well-written briefs, memoranda of law, specifications of professional misconduct, other legal pleadings, internal memoranda, and correspondence;
- Ensure the effective and timely management of all caseloads; and
- Interact courteously and effectively with members of the Board of Regents and the various State professional boards, other SED staff, opposing counsel, witnesses, and members of the public.
Candidates must be admitted to the New York State Bar AND have two years of relevant, post-graduate experience, including significant trial work or administrative hearing experience, demonstrating progressively responsible experience in such areas.
This position is in the exempt class and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Salary will be commensurate with education and experience. Frequent same-day travel and occasional overnight State-wide travel will be required. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of the Budget approval.
*Salary will be commensurate with education and experience plus $3,026 downstate location pay.
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a candidate is appointed. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OP-1503/21249) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.