THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant Counsel, NS (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of the Professions is seeking candidates to fill the position of Assistant Counsel in the Office of the Deputy Commissioner for the Professions. The Assistant Counsel will work closely with the Deputy Commissioner, the Division of Professional Licensing Services, the Offices of Professional Discipline and Legal Services, and the Executive Secretaries for the State Boards covering the professions licensed by NYSED. The Assistant Counsel will have significant operational responsibilities in the areas of legislation and rulemaking, and on various matters relating to the professions, including providing legal advice regarding the professions, assisting in litigation and responding to subpoenas. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide legal advice to the Deputy Commissioner, Office of the Professions staff and members of the various State Boards for the Professions;
- Draft and review Regents’ rules and Commissioner’s regulations, along with supporting materials;
- Draft and review legal decisions and legislative proposals;
- Work with the Office of Counsel, other program areas within NYSED, and other State agencies on a variety of matters relating to the professions, including providing legal advice regarding the professions, assisting in litigation and responding to subpoenas;
- Respond to practice questions from professionals, attorneys and members of the public;
- Assist in the legal review and response to Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) requests and other public information documents; and
- Provide legal advice regarding scope of practice issues related to Title VIII Professions, corporations and other professional practice entities.
Candidates must be admitted to the New York State Bar AND have five years of relevant, post-graduate experience, demonstrating progressive responsibility.
Preference may be given to candidates who possess significant experience interpreting and drafting laws and regulations, litigation experience, including, but not limited to trial work and/or or administrative hearing involvement, and familiarity with the licensed professions.
This position is in the exempt class and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Salary will be commensurate with education and experience. Frequent same-day travel and occasional overnight State-wide travel will be required. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of the Budget approval.
*Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Recruitment will continue until a successful candidate has been identified. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OP-1456/21250) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.