THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant Counsel, NS (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of the Professions (OP) is seeking candidates for an Assistant Counsel position, serving internally as the Deputy Director of Legal Services in the Office of Legal Services. The Office of Legal Services provides legal assistance and writes hearing decisions for various levels of adjudicating bodies in administrative discipline and related proceedings regulating licensees in professions licensed by the New York State Board of Regents. The incumbent of this position will assist the Director of the Office of Legal Services by managing legal and support staff in the performance of its quasi-judicial, advisory and administrative roles in professional licensure, discipline, and restoration administrative proceedings at the hearing and appellate levels to ensure that such roles are exercised in a fair, impartial, and timely manner. Under the direction of the Director of Legal Services, Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepare all pre-meeting materials for the Regents Professional Practice Committee (PPC) as well as to the Board of Regents; attend the PPC meeting and conduct presentations, as necessary;
- Prepare post-meeting report of PPC recommendations for final determination by Board of Regents;
- Draft and convey for service the Votes of the Board of Regents and the Orders enforcing all discipline cases determined by the Board of Regents;
- Ensure preparation and timely mailing of pre-meeting material to the Regents Review Committee (RRC) and providing direct legal assistance and managing provision of staff to RRC;
- Assist the Director with preparation of Regents Review Committee reports;
- Supervise staff responsible for preparing Hearing Panel reports;
- Serve as Legal Advisor and aid in administering meetings of the Regents Review Committee;
- Manage the caseload and coordinate related responsibilities of legal and administrative staff, including the scheduling of the proceedings, which involve numerous participants, compile and draft the calendars for the hearings and the various levels of review; arrange hearing dates and ensure issuance of timely, well-written and accurate reports by the Legal Services attorneys assigned to the hearings; and
- Serve as Administrative Officer for professional discipline and moral character cases, and as Legal Advisor in restoration cases, as needed.
Candidates must be admitted to the New York State Bar AND have five years of relevant, post-graduate experience, including significant trial work or administrative hearing work.
This position is in the exempt class and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Salary will be commensurate with education and experience. Frequent overnight State-wide travel will be required. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of the Budget approval.
All NYSED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
*Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
** If this position is filled in the Manhattan, in addition to the listed base salary, this position receives a $3,026 Annual Downstate Adjustment.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OP-1461/00141) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.