THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant Counsel, NS (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Counsel is seeking applicants for the position of Assistant Counsel. The Assistant Counsel will assist the Department’s Counsel and Deputy Commissioner for Legal Affairs in providing necessary legal services to the Board of Regents, the Commissioner of Education and Department staff. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review and provide legal advice and counsel on issues related to contracts, procurement law and competitive funding opportunities, including bid protests and vendor responsibility determinations;
- Review, negotiate and provide legal advice regarding a variety of written agreements on behalf of the Department, including data sharing agreements, software services agreements and interagency agreements;
- Perform research for and draft Commissioner’s decisions in appeals brought pursuant to Education Law § 310;
- Represent the Department in administrative proceedings or assist the Office of the Attorney General in court proceedings challenging the Department’s actions, policies, or determinations;
- Perform research on legal issues as requested by the program offices or in response to inquiries from constituents; including Freedom of Information Law issues;
- Review and assist in the preparation of legislation and regulations, as needed; and
- Handle special assignments as requested by the Counsel or management team.
Candidates must have a J.D. degree, be admitted to the New York State Bar, have at least two years of legal experience, and have excellent analytical and writing skills. Preferred applicants will have experience with state or municipal contracting, a background in or familiarity with Education Law, or have managerial and/or supervisory experience or ability.
This position is in the exempt jurisdictional class, and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education and the Counsel and Deputy Commissioner for Legal Affairs. Filling of this position is contingent on Division of the Budget approval.
*Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (Email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (EXEC-72/21244) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.