THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant Counsel, NS (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Counsel (OC) is seeking applicants for the position of Assistant Counsel. The Assistant Counsel will assist the Department’s Counsel in providing necessary legal services to the Board of Regents, the Commissioner of Education and Department staff. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform research for and draft Commissioner’s decisions in administrative appeals, including, but not limited to, more complex appeals of actions or decisions of local school district officials brought to the Commissioner for resolution under Education Law §310 and removal proceedings brought under Education Law §306;
- Conduct reviews of attorneys' draft Commissioner's decisions in administrative appeals, including 310 appeals, in a timely, accurate and thorough manner;
- Provide resources and support to attorneys in OC regarding administrative appeals;
- Represent the Department or assist the Office of the Attorney General in administrative and court proceedings challenging the Department’s actions, policies or administrative determinations;
- Provide legal advice and counsel on a wide variety of issues relating to elementary, middle, and secondary education, cultural education, higher education, adult, career and continuing education services and licensed professions, as requested by the Counsel;
- Perform a variety of legal services, with minimal supervision, including legal research, preparing legal briefs, negotiating and preparing legal documents and similar functions;
- Review and assist in the preparation of legislation and regulations; and
- Handle litigation and special assignments as requested by the Counsel or management team.
Candidates must have a J.D. degree and be admitted to the New York State bar. Candidates must have at least two years of progressively responsible legal experience, excellent analytical and writing skills are required.
Knowledge of Education Law is preferred.
This position is in the exempt class and the incumbent will serves at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Filling of this position is contingent on Division of the Budget approval.
*Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-391/00105) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.