THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant Counsel, NS (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Counsel is seeking applicants for the position of Assistant Counsel. The Assistant Counsel will assist the Department’s Counsel in providing necessary legal services to the Board of Regents, the Commissioner of Education and Department staff. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Providing legal advice and counsel to the Board of Regents, Commissioner of Education, and high-level Department managers on major educational issues and other priority matters effecting the Department and educational institutions throughout the State. The Counsel relies on the knowledge, skills, and experience of the Assistant Counsel to assist Department clients at all levels with minimum supervision;
- Assist in managing and overseeing the Department’s legislative and regulatory work (including but not limited to research and drafting), including the supervision of staff attorneys in these areas;
- Providing effective assistance to the Attorney General (AG) in litigation handled by the AG and providing effective representation in litigation and administrative proceedings handled by the Department’s Office of Counsel;
- Performing a variety of legal services, with minimum supervision, including legal research, preparing legal briefs, negotiating and preparing legal documents, reviewing and drafting contracts and memoranda of understanding and similar functions;
- Serving as a member of the Counsel’s management team, which is responsible for creating and implementing office policy, overseeing office staff, and analyzing and resolving the Department’s most complex legal issues;
- Handling special assignments, serving as the Counsel’s representative, and performing such other managerial responsibilities as directed by the Counsel;
- Making and reviewing legal assignments; providing or directing appropriate training; directing subordinate staff in the preparation of technically complex, precedent-setting or other difficult casework; assisting in the determination of assignment priorities in accordance with organizational needs or timetables; and participating on assigned Office of Counsel functional work teams, and;
- Preparing and reviewing drafts in Commissioner’s decisions in appeals brought under Education Law §§306 and 310, and other similar administrative appeal processes.
Candidates must have a J.D. degree and be admitted to the New York State Bar. Candidates must have at least five years of legal experience, excellent analytical and writing skills, significant experience with drafting and reviewing legislation and/or regulations, a background in Education Law as well as managerial and/or supervisory experience or ability.
This position is in the exempt class and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Filling of this position is contingent on Division of the Budget approval.
* Salary commensurate with education and experience.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-320/00106) in the subject line of your cover letter and email to ensure receipt of your application.