THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant Counsel, NS (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of the Professions is seeking candidates to fill the position of Assistant Counsel in the Office of the Deputy Commissioner for the Professions. The Assistant Counsel will work closely with the Deputy Commissioner, the Division of Professional Licensing Services, the Offices of Professional Discipline and Legal Services, and the Executive Secretaries for the State Boards covering the professions licensed by the State Education Department. The Assistant Counsel will have operational responsibilities in the areas of professional discipline, restoration of professional licenses, legislation and rulemaking, and review and approval of applications relating to professional and other business entities. Other duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Providing legal advice to the Deputy Commissioner, Office of the Professions staff and members of the various State Boards for the Professions;
- Working with the Office of Counsel, other program areas within the State Education Department, and other State agencies on a variety of matters relating to the professions, including providing legal advice regarding the professions, assisting in litigation and responding to subpoenas;
- Responding to practice and discipline questions from professionals, attorneys and members of the public;
- Assisting in the legal review and response to Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) requests and other public information documents;
- Drafting and reviewing legal decisions and legislative proposals;
- Researching and preparing well-written briefs, memoranda of law, specifications of professional misconduct, internal memoranda and correspondence;
- Drafting and reviewing Regents’ rules and Commissioner’s regulations, along with supporting materials;
- Working with the Office of Counsel to finalize all materials relating to the promulgation of rules and regulations and assuring compliance with State Administrative Procedure Act requirements;
- Presenting regulations to the Professional Practice Committee of the Board of Regents when appropriate; and
- Assisting in the oversight and coordination of the Committee on the Professions’ approval of disciplinary consent agreements and role in moral character and restoration proceedings, and in the preparation and presentation of Regents’ restoration items.
Candidates must have been admitted to the New York State Bar and have four years of relevant, post-graduate experience, including significant trial work or administrative hearing experience, demonstrating progressively responsible experience.
Special consideration will be given to candidates who have familiarity with the licensed professions, significant trial work or administrative hearing involvement, and experience interpreting and drafting laws and regulations.
This position is in the exempt jurisdictional class, and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Occasional same-day travel and occasional overnight travel throughout the State will be required.
*Salary will be commensurate with Education and Experience.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (Email applications are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1139/21250) of the position in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.