THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant Counsel, M2 (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates to fill the position of Assistant Counsel in the Office of Professional Discipline (OPD). This Office investigates and prosecutes professional misconduct and allegations of illegal practice in over 50 licensed professions to ensure public protection in New York State. The incumbent of this position will develop and review investigations into allegations of professional misconduct. Other duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide legal advice to OPD investigators and members of the various State boards for the professions;
- Engage in settlement negotiations in professional misconduct cases;
- Prepare for hearings and trials before panels of the various State boards: professional misconduct cases, moral character cases involving individuals seeking licensure, and restoration of license cases involving individuals whose licenses have been previously revoked or surrendered;
- Represent OPD before the Regents Review Committee, which reviews decisions of hearing panels in professional misconduct cases;
- Oversee the work product of legal assistants and interns;
- Research and prepare well-written briefs, memoranda of law, specifications of professional misconduct, other legal pleadings, internal memoranda, and correspondence;
- Ensure the effective and timely management of all caseloads; and
- Interact courteously and effectively with members of the Board of Regents, the various State professional boards, other SED staff, opposing counsel, witnesses, and members of the public.
Candidates must have been admitted to the New York State Bar and have at least three years of relevant, post-graduate legal experience, including significant trial work or administrative hearing experience, demonstrating progressively responsible experience in such areas.
This position is in the exempt class and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Frequent same-day travel and occasional overnight travel throughout the State will be required. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of Budget approval.
*Salary will be commensurate with Education and Experience.
** Plus $3,026 annual downstate location pay differential.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1088/21248) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.