THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant Commissioner, NS (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates to fill the position of Assistant Commissioner of the Office of Accountability. The Office of Accountability, with approximately 75 staff persons, providing oversight of the compliance for schools and Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) in New York State. The Office of Accountability works to close the achievement gap by identifying and supporting schools and LEAs that are low performing, as well as those interested in replicating the best practices of the State’s high performing and high progressing schools and districts. The Office administers over $1 billion annually in grants to LEAs that are provided to New York by the United States Department of Education under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), including funding to provide additional supports and services to low-income students, homeless students, neglected and delinquent students, migrant students, and students who attend school in rural areas. Duties of the position will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Directs the work of a Statewide operation consisting of approximately 75 employees in the central and regional offices;
- Oversees the compliance for schools and Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) in New York State;
- Provides leadership of programs and initiatives while working to ensure equity and access to high quality educational programs for all students by managing State and Federal allocations to LEAs, consisting of Accountability, Policy and Administration, Field Support Services, Metrics Unit and Office of ESSA-Funded Programs;
- Directs the review and approval of applications submitted by LEAs for grant programs under Titles I, II, IV, and V of the ESSA; provides technical assistance in their implementation; and monitors program compliance;
- Provides leadership and coordination of the State’s school and district accountability programs and assists low-performing schools and districts to assess their educational programs and develop plans for improvement;
- Manages the development of proposals for State law and regulation, and development of policy and guidance to ensure New York State’s compliance with ESSA-Funded Programs;
- Oversees the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) program, which includes a wide array of programs that are designed to ensure success for students and schools;
- Oversees the development of Regents items, regulations and legislation pertaining to the responsibilities of the Office of Accountability;
- Oversees many initiatives including the Diagnostic Tool for School & District Effectiveness (DTSDE), District Comprehensive Improvement Plan (DCIP), Transfer High Schools, School Improvement Grants, Distinguished Educator Program and McKinney-Vento Homeless Education program;
- Oversees the facilitation of the use of data, throughout NYSED, in conjunction with the Information Reporting Services office; and
- Collaborates with Information Reporting Services in operationalizing new accountability metrics for public reporting.
Candidates must have a master’s degree or higher and have relevant senior level leadership and management experience including a record of proven results and responsibility for a major complex office or institution of higher education, education or government.
This position is in the exempt jurisdictional class and the incumbent will serves at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Filling of this position is contingent on Division of the Budget approval.
* Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 6, 2019 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1960/48001) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.