THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Archives Conservation Specialist 3, Grade 23 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Cultural Education (OCE) is seeking candidates for an Archives Conservation Specialist 3 to lead paper conservation services for the collections of the State Archives, State Library and State Museum. These institutions develop and preserve collections that serve the long-term interests of the institutions and residents of New York. The incumbent of this position will manage all operations carried out in the OCE paper conservation lab, train and supervise staff working in the conservation lab and develop the conservation budget. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Design and perform conservation treatment and housing on high priority paper-based collections of the State Archives, State Library and State Museum meeting best practice standards established by the American Institute for Conservation;
- Oversee the preparation of paper-based collections for exhibition and loan;
- Develop storage and housing plans for both large and small scale collections;
- Supervise and train conservators, technicians, interns, contractors and other staff, as requested;
- Identify priorities for conservation and develop and implement conservation plans that both target the most vulnerable collections and address user needs;
- Write contract specifications and coordinate all paper collections conservation through contractual services;
- Work with program staff to develop grant proposals and direct grant-funded projects that advance collections conservation and preservation;
- Lead or participate on teams to improve stewardship of collections across OCE;
- Participate in advisory services for State agencies, local governments and non-government repositories relative to conservation, preservation and disaster recovery;
- Present talks, tours and demonstrations for staff, visitors and other groups; and
- Provide conservation and preservation advice to cultural institutions and the public.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Archives Conservation Specialist 3 eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have:
Either 1. A master's degree in art conservation from an accredited conservation training program AND two years of qualifying experience in an archives or historical records repository preservation program, one year of which must have included managing staff and managing one or more areas of the preservation program or function;
Or 2. A bachelor’s degree in art conservation from an accredited conservation training program AND three years of qualifying experience in an archives or historical records repository preservation program, one year of which must have included managing staff and managing one or more areas of the preservation program or function.
Provisional candidates must take the examination for Archives Conservation Specialist 3 when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a permanent or non-permanent provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and experience will be required.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $92,693 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 27, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OCE-1147/26354) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.