THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Archives and Records Management Specialist 2, Grade 18 (PEF)
The State Education Department’ New York State Archives is seeking candidates for an Archives and Records Management Specialist 2 position in the Archival Services Unit. The New York State Archives leads efforts, on behalf of all New Yorkers, to manage, preserve, ensure open access to, and promote the wide use of, records that support information needs and document the history, governments, events and peoples of New York State. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop archival descriptions of records preserved by the State Archives using archival descriptive standards including Encoded Archival Descriptions (EAD), Encoded Archival Context (EAC) and Machine Readable Cataloging (MARC);
- Participate in researcher services activities, including aiding researchers on-site, as well as by email or postal mail, and over the phone;
- Work with agency personnel and other archives staff to identify records of long-term value and to coordinate the transfer of archival records in paper, digital and other formats to the State Archives for preservation;
- Aid other archival functions including accessioning, processing, appraisal and retention scheduling of state government records;
- Conduct assessments of records transferred to the State Archives for preservation to determine their access and preservation needs;
- Prepare reports and other information regarding records that are eligible for transfer to the State Archives from inactive storage at the State Records Center and facilitate the transfer of those records;
- Develop and maintain other reports using a standardized reporting tool, regarding records stored in the State Records Center to support the administration of those records; and
- Assist in the development of outreach tools including electronic publications, web content and social media content to facilitate researcher access to and use of the holdings of the state archives.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Archives and Records Management Specialist 2.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Archives & Records Management Specialist 2 eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-16 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. The work schedule for this position includes hours of Monday through Friday (9:00am – 5:00pm) with rotating Saturdays (9:00am – 5:00pm). Verification of degree and/or work experience will be required of all candidates at the time of interview. This position will require overnight and workday travel at approximately 15%.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by November 21, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OCE-1146/26074) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.