THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Administrative Specialist 2, Grade 23 (Management/Confidential)
(Open to current NYS Employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) is seeking candidates for an Administrative Specialist 2 position at the New York State School for the Deaf (NYSSD). Under the direction of the Superintendent, School for the Deaf, duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepare and administers the budgets for the school;
- Maintain budgets and expenditure plans by ensuring approvals are in place and all rules and regulations that govern the procurement process are in place;
- Approve purchasing for the schools;
- Maintain financial records and reviews and approves recommendations and requests from various departments;
- Prepare and administers grants programs for the School;
- Assess financial needs and approve purchase requests, purchase orders and payments and assign expenditures to appropriate programs;
- Oversee all human resource activities in accordance with NYSED’s central HR office’s policies and procedures;
- Manage office activities including reviewing equipment and space needs, and proposals for capital construction projects;
- Oversee telecommunications programs as governed by NYSED’s central HR office’s policies and procedures;
- Assist with analyzing and procurement of computer systems and software for students and staff;
- Prepare maintenance plans and oversee equipment and facilities operations;
- Conduct intensive study and research of school policies, programs, issues and prepare reports and recommendations for Superintendent review;
- Participate as member of the school leadership team in meetings and conferences;
- Participate in labor relations activities including labor management meetings;
- Review policies and procedures, and implement procedural manuals for the business office; and
- Supervise professional and support staff in the school on a daily basis as well as interim during Superintendent absences.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-21 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must be a qualified employee of the New York State Education Department (NYSED) and have had one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as Administrative Specialist 1, Contract Management Specialist 1, Human Resources Specialist 1, Senior Administrative Analyst, or Senior Budgeting Analyst. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Administrative Specialist 2 when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a permanent appointment or a temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Administrative Specialist 2 when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $99,213 with annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (ROM-368/00036) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.