THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Administrative Specialist 2, Grade 23 (PEF)
(Open to New York State employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Adult Career and Continuing Education Services – Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR) is seeking candidates for an Administrative Specialist 2 position in the Office of the Assistant Commissioner. The incumbent of this position will serve as a confidential aide to the Assistant Commissioner and will be responsible for managing the daily activities of the office, serving as liaison for the office, assisting with special projects, and supervising lower-level administrative staff within the office. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage the office of the Assistant Commissioner and supervise support staff;
- Provide administrative direction to ACCES-VR’s 15 District Offices and 10 Satellite Offices;
- Provide direction to the 15 Administrative Specialist 1’s in the District Offices;
- Assist in the development of policies and procedures related to the administrative functions of the 15 District Offices and 10 Satellite Offices;
- Coordinate the lease renewal process for the 15 District Offices and 10 Satellite Offices including the facilitation of communication between ACCES-VR, NYSED Facilities and Office of General Services;
- Coordinate the ordering of supplies, equipment, furniture, phone systems and other items needed to conduct the day-to-day business of 15 District Offices and 10 Satellite Offices;
- Coordinate the resolution of any facility issues for the District and Satellite Offices including office moves, repairs and renovations, emergencies, records management and storage, and removal of surplus furniture;
- Coordinate Memorandum of Understanding and Infrastructure Agreements between District Offices and Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act partners such as Department of Labor One Stop Career Centers;
- Coordinate the request of prior approval from the Rehabilitation Services Administration for expenditures required by federal regulations, and
- Provide other duties as needed to manage the office of the Assistant Commissioner of ACCES-VR.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Administrative Specialist 2 or Senior Administrative Assistant.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-21 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must be a qualified employee of New York State and have had one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as:
Either A. an Administrative Specialist 1, Administrative Specialist Trainee 1, or Administrative Specialist Trainee 2;Or B. an Assistant Office Services Manager, Contract Management Specialist 1, Contract Management Specialist Trainee 1,Contract Management Specialist Trainee 2, Senior Administrative Analyst, Administrative Analyst Trainee 1, Administrative Analyst Trainee 2, Senior Budgeting Analyst, Budgeting Analyst Trainee 1, Budgeting Analyst Trainee 2, Human Resources Specialist, Human Resources Specialist Trainee 1, Human Resources Specialist Trainee 2, Thruway Purchasing Officer 1, Thruway Purchasing Officer Trainee 1, or Thruway Purchasing Officer Trainee 2.
Provisional candidates must take the examination for Administrative Specialist 2 when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Note: Employees of ACCES-VR who are currently in an Administrative Specialist 2 position and are interested in transferring to the location indicated on this flyer MUST apply for the position as outlined in the Application section of this flyer.
This will be a contingent permanent or temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Administrative Specialist 2 when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
All SED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $98,372 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 13, 2021 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (ACS-2506/48043) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by SED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.