THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
NEW YORK STATE SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND
2A Richmond Avenue, Batavia, New York 14020
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
Administrative Specialist 1, Grade 18 (Management/Confidential)
Administrative Specialist Trainee 1, NS (Equated to SG-13)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) is seeking candidates for an Administrative Specialist 1 position at the School for the Blind (NYSSB). Under the Direction of the Administrative Specialist 2, duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Calculate and verify salaries, salary increases, longevity payments, performance advances, shift differentials, overtime meals, extra service, summer school rates, balance of contract payments, court orders and other payments, penalties, and garnishments in accordance with NYSED’s central HR office’s policies and procedures;
- Calculate sick leave at half pay and eligibility, adjustments for vacation, and sick and personal leave credits for part-time, full-time, and non-statutory employees in accordance with NYSED’s central HR office’s policies and procedures;
- Provide customer service to employees, managers, and other NYS and private agencies regarding various payroll and personnel topics as needed;
- Conduct new employee orientations including benefits, payroll, and personnel topics in accordance with NYSED’s central HR office’s policies and procedures;
- Assist budgetary staff with preparation and review of payroll costs for the NYSSB;
- Implement the Worker’s Compensation program and benefits, track all required documents, and enter proper transactions in accordance with NYSED’s central HR office’s policies and procedures;
- Provide proper notifications to NYSSB employees regarding substitute terms, 10-month employee employment, and summer school employment;
- Supervision of clerical staff within business office;
- Oversee recruitment and all on-boarding activities, including preparation of postings, waiver requests, clearances, interview set-ups, preparation, and participating in interviews as needed, preparing job descriptions and justifications in accordance with NYSED’s central HR office’s policies and procedures,;
- Provide assessment of staffing levels and budget considerations for staffing needs; including preparation of recommendations and justifications for positions for NYSED’s central HR office’s review;
- Participate in, and maintain training records at the school level to ensure school-specific trainings are conducted appropriately, and work with NYSED’s Training Unitto ensure all other trainings are completed;
- Administer the evaluation and probation programs for the schools for submission to NYSED’s central HR office;
- Administer the full range of employee benefits for the schools in accordance with NYSED’s central HR office;
- Manage office staffing by participating in and revising work procedures, implement record-keeping systems, and manage appropriate forms and other documentation requirements for the schools;
- Maintain knowledge of and provide backup to the Administrative Specialist 2 for the full range of purchasing, budget, and management of the school during absences;
- Administer all aspects of the retirement processes for both Teachers and Employees Retirement system members in accordance with NYSED’s central HR office’s policies and procedures;
- Perform time and attendance management including contact tracing;
- Advise departmental managers, supervisors, and employees on applicable laws, rules, directives or negotiated agreements, including the Memorandum of Understanding and Memorandum of Agreement for instructional positions that affect the appointment, promotion, termination, or salary of employees; and
- Coordinate the preparation of employment transactions in accordance with Civil Service Law, State Finance Law and applicable rules, regulations and directives and in accordance with NYSED’s central HR office’s policies and procedures.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Administrative Specialist 1.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the New York State Education Department’s Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list or the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list may be considered for appointment. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Administrative Specialist 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-16 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Administrative Specialist Trainee 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-11 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-16 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of experience and/or coursework will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense.
This position may be filled as a traineeship. The salary above applies to candidates appointed to Administrative Specialist 1, SG-18. The salary for candidates appointed to Administrative Specialist Trainee 1 starts at $47,039 and, for current New York State employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Candidates appointed at the trainee level will be required to successfully complete the traineeship in order to advance to the journey level title and salary.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $73,259 with annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by July 6, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (BAT-442/00021) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.