THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Administrative Specialist 1, Grade 18 (PEF)
Administrative Specialist Trainee 1, SG-NS (Equated to SG-13)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of the Professions (OP) is seeking candidates for an Administrative Specialist 1 position in the Deputy Commissioner’s Office. Under the direct supervision of the Director of Operations, the Administrative Specialist 1 will serve as the OP liaison to the Office of Human Resources (OHRM) and assist with a variety of administrative assignments. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist offices throughout the program area in the recruitment and selection process for new hires, and monitor, track and process related paperwork;
- Advise OP managers, supervisors and staff on personnel matters in consultation with OHRM;
- Maintain OP staffing reports, organizational charts and seating charts in consultation with leadership to determine current and future needs;
- Serve as a liaison to OHRM’s Labor Relations office to address issues and concerns of supervisors and staff;
- Participate in a variety of projects and time-sensitive assignments by planning and implementing systems to ensure effective operation of the day-to-day administrative activities of the program office;
- Make, evaluate and facilitate process improvement recommendations and track implementation; and
- Prepare detailed, written procedures, and train staff as changes are implemented.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Administrative Specialist 1.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the New York State Education Department’s Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list or the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list may be considered for appointment. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Administrative Specialist 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title SG-16 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Administrative Specialist Trainee 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title SG-11 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 52.6 Transfer to Administrative Specialist 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-16 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
This position may be filled as a traineeship. The salary above applies to candidates appointed to Administrative Specialist 1, SG-18. The salary for candidates appointed to Administrative Specialist Trainee 1 starts at $42,986 and, for current New York State employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Candidates appointed at the trainee level will be required to successfully complete the traineeship in order to advance to the journey level title and salary.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 31, 2019 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1208/00287) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.