THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Administrative Assistant 2, Grade 15 (Management/Confidential)
(Open to current NYS Employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Administrative Assistant 2 in the Office of Accountability. The Office of Accountability works to close the achievement gap by identifying and supporting schools and Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) that are low performing, as well as those interested in replicating the best practices of the State's high performing and high progressing schools and districts. The Office administers over $1.4 billion annually in grants to LEAs that are provided to New York by the United States Department of Education under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), including funding to provide additional supports and services to low-income students, homeless students, neglected and delinquent students, migrant students, and students who attend school in rural areas. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintain the Assistant Commissioner’s calendar, handle correspondence, reports, and other documents prepared by the Assistant Commissioner integral to the work of the office on an ongoing basis;
- Communicate information from the Assistant Commissioner to staff and others, collect and organize information requested by the Assistant Commissioner from staff/others, and make information available to staff, stakeholders, and the public via mail, email, and telephone;
- Oversee reception services and schedule appointments and meetings;
- Coordinate and reconcile travel arrangements and hotel accommodations for the Assistant Commissioner and other team leads;
- Manage bills for goods and services for the office;
- Organize and maintain paper and electronic filing systems and initiate recurring administrative processes; and
- Undertake special assignments as requested, such as but not limited to providing support to Departmental leadership, as needed.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Administrative Assistant 2.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-13 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. Candidates must also be able to pass a typing proficiency exam. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must be a qualified employee of New York State and have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Administrative Assistant 1, Administrative Assistant 1 (Spanish Language), Examination Composition Assistant, Keyboard Specialist 2, Keyboard Specialist 2 (Spanish Language), Keyboard Specialist 3, Law Department Document Specialist, Office Assistant 2 Keyboarding, Office Assistant 2 Keyboarding (Spanish Language), Secretary 1, Secretary 1 (Spanish Language), or Senior Data Entry Machine Operator. Successful completion of an appropriate keyboarding test will be required for all candidates, unless candidates demonstrate previous service in a competitive title for which passing a keyboarding test was required. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Administrative Assistant 2 when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment or a temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Administrative Assistant 2 when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Candidates will be required to pass a keyboarding test that demonstrates the ability to enter text at a rate of at least 30 words per minute with at least 96% accuracy.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $68,356 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2212/06012) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.