THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Administrative Assistant 2, Grade 15 (Management/Confidential)
(Open to current NYS Employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of P-12 Instructional Support is seeking candidates for an Administrative Assistant 2 position in the Deputy Commissioners Office. This Office oversees areas of curriculum and instruction, charter schools, special populations, early childhood education, school safety, career and technical education and expanded learning opportunities. The Office is responsible for developing and implementing strategic plans and policies to create safe, nurturing and engaging learning environments for all students in New York State. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintain the Deputy Commissioner’s calendar, handle correspondence, reports, and other documents prepared by the Deputy Commissioner, and arrange meetings integral to the work of the office on an ongoing basis;
- Communicate information from the Deputy Commissioner to staff and others, collect and organize information requested by the Deputy Commissioner from staff/others, and make information available to staff, stakeholders, and the public via mail, email, and telephone;
- Oversee reception services and schedule appointments, meetings, and travel;
- Coordinate and reconcile travel arrangements and hotel accommodations;
- Manage bills for goods and services for the office;
- Organize and maintain paper and electronic filing systems and initiate recurring administrative processes; and
- Undertake special assignments as assigned such as but not limited to, providing support to the Chancellor and Departmental leadership, as needed.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Administrative Assistant 2.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-13 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. Candidates must also be able to pass a typing proficiency exam. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must be a qualified employee of New York State and have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Administrative Assistant 1, Administrative Assistant 1 (Spanish Language), Examination Composition Assistant, Keyboard Specialist 2, Keyboard Specialist 2 (Spanish Language), Keyboard Specialist 3, Law Department Document Specialist, Office Assistant 2 Keyboarding, Office Assistant 2 Keyboarding (Spanish Language), Secretary 1, Secretary 1 (Spanish Language), or Senior Data Entry Machine Operator. Successful completion of an appropriate keyboarding test will be required for all candidates, unless candidates demonstrate previous service in a competitive title for which passing a keyboarding test was required. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Administrative Assistant 2 when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a permanent appointment or a temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Administrative Assistant 2 when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Candidates will be required to pass a keyboarding test that demonstrates the ability to enter text at a rate of at least 30 words per minute with at least 96% accuracy.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $68,356 based on annual performance advances.
** In addition to the listed base salary, this position receives a $3,026 Annual Downstate Adjustment.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2214/03472) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.