THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Administrative Assistant 2, Grade 15 (Management/Confidential)
(Open to Current NYS Employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Administrative Assistant 2 in the Office of Accountability. This Office oversees accountability of schools and Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) in New York State for student academic results and the use of Federal Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) funds. This Office has statewide responsibility in measuring the demonstrable improvement of schools in receivership, data reporting, public school registration, self-assessment, and oversight of programs pertaining to homeless children and youth, migrant education, and rural education achievement. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintain the Assistant Commissioner’s calendar, handle correspondence, reports, and other documents prepared by the Assistant Commissioner, and arrange meetings integral to the work of the office on an ongoing basis;
- Communicate information from the Assistant Commissioner to staff and others, collect and organize information requested by the Assistant Commissioner from staff/others, and make information available to staff, stakeholders, and the public via mail, email, and telephone; Oversee reception services and schedule appointments, meetings, and travel;
- Coordinate and reconcile travel arrangements and hotel accommodations;
- Manage bills for goods and services for the office;
- Organize and maintain paper and electronic filing systems and initiate recurring administrative processes; and
- Undertake special assignments as assigned such as but not limited to, providing support to the Chancellor and Departmental leadership, as needed.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Administrative Assistant 2.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-13 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. Candidates must also be able to pass a typing proficiency exam.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Examination Composition Assistant, Keyboard Specialist 2, Keyboard Specialist 2 (Spanish Language), Keyboard Specialist 3, Law Department Document Specialist, Office Assistant 2 Keyboarding, Office Assistant 2 Keyboarding (Spanish Language), Secretary 1, Secretary 1 (Spanish Language), or Senior Data Entry Machine Operator. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Administrative Assistant 2 when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a permanent or temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Administrative Assistant 2 when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Candidates will be required to pass a keyboarding test that demonstrates the ability to enter text at a rate of at least 30 words per minute with at least 96% accuracy.
All NYSED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $65,702 based on annual performance advances.
** In addition to the listed base salary, this position receives a $3,026 Annual Downstate Adjustment.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by January 27, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2135/03742) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.