THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Administrative Assistant 1, Grade 11 (CSEA-Admin)
Administrative Assistant Trainee 1, NS (Equated to SG-8)
(Open to current NYS Employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of P-12 Education is seeking candidates for a(n) Administrative Assistant 1 position in the Office of Accountability (OA). This Office has major statewide responsibility for the direction, coordination and implementation of services and supports for schools and Local Educational Agencies (LEA) as per New York's Accountability System under the approved New York State Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) plan. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Use technology and web-based platforms for word processing, spreadsheets, databases, electronic mail, and a variety of other online tasks using various software as part of daily operations;
- Schedule meetings and maintain the calendar of the school and district visits to be conducted;
- Communicate with all levels of staff to ensure operations are handled promptly and effectively;
- Coordinate travel arrangements, prepare travel paperwork, and process travel expense reports for OA staff, as assigned;
- Route calls to appropriate staff members to respond to policy or procedure related questions ;
- Design, set up, and maintain hard copy and electronic files of, code and file material, search for requested material and periodically purge obsolete material for storage, records center, or for disposal, as appropriate;
- Assist other administrative staff to pick up, sort, and distribute inter-office and postal mail, as needed;
- Review non-confidential incoming and outgoing correspondence and reports to determine best course of action;
- Review materials for proper grammatical usage, clarity, and factual correctness, compliance with policy, program information, and/or conformance to instructions and prepare reports using statistical and narrative information, as assigned; and
- Assemble and coordinate background materials for meetings and conferences.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service as an Administrative Assistant 1.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Administrative Assistant 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-9 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. Candidates must also have completed all mandatory and elective core coursework** to qualify for transfer. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Administrative Assistant Trainee 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-6 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Administrative Assistant Trainee 2: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-8 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. Candidates must also have completed all mandatory and elective core coursework** to qualify for transfer. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of work experience and/or completed coursework will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Successful completion of an appropriate keyboarding test will be required for all candidates unless candidates demonstrate previous service in a competitive title for which passing a keyboarding test was required.
This position may be filled as a traineeship. The starting salaries for this position are outlined below. For current New York State employees, salary is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Candidates appointed at the trainee level will be required to successfully complete the traineeship to advance to the full performance level title and salary.
- $36,964 (Trainee 1- NS equated to SG-8)
- $41,255 (Trainee 2- NS equated to SG-10)
- $43,648 (Full Performance level SG-11)
This position leads to a maximum salary of $53,490 based on annual performance advances and traineeship advances.
Administrative Assistant Traineeship Coursework Requirements: Trainees will be required to take eight courses, four mandatory and four electives, in the following administrative core competencies: Computer Skills and Technology; Interpersonal and Customer Relations; Professionalism and Self-Management; Verbal and Written Communication. Candidates appointed to Administrative Assistant Trainee 1 must complete one mandatory course in each of the core competencies within one year of appointment. The mandatory courses are Microsoft Word Basics, Customer Service, Organized Office Worker, and Successful Business Writing. Advancement from Administrative Assistant Trainee 1 to Administrative Assistant Trainee 2 is contingent upon completion of one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Administrative Assistant Trainee 1 and completion of the four mandatory courses. Candidates appointed to or advanced to Administrative Assistant Trainee 2 must complete one elective course in each of the core competencies prior to the completion of the Administrative Assistant Traineeship. Advancement from Administrative Assistant Trainee 2 to Administrative Assistant 1 is contingent upon completion of the requisite courses. Failure to complete the requisite courses prior to the completion of the Administrative Assistant Traineeship will result in removal from employment.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest (Recruitment will continue until the position is filled) to P12jobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2251/60250) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.