3 – 8 English Language Arts and Mathematics Tests
The goal of the Department is that all Grades 3-8 testing will be delivered on computers by 2020. To achieve this goal, the New York State Education Department has initiated a phase-in approach to Grades 3-8 Computer-Based Testing (CBT).
Beginning with the 2016–17 school year, schools had the option of administering the operational tests and the stand-alone field tests either by computer or on paper.
Computer-Based ELA and Mathematics Tests:
As with the previous year, in the 2018-2019 school year, schools that are prepared and technologically ready may choose to administer by subject area and grade-level to test their students on computer. For CBT, there are six primary testing days for each subject area, English Language Arts (ELA) and Math. The testing window for ELA computer-based tests is Monday, April 1 to Thursday, April 11, 2019. The testing window for math computer-based tests is Tuesday, April 30 to Friday, May 10, 2019.
Computer-Based Stand-Alone ELA and Mathematics Field Tests:
The stand-alone field tests in ELA and mathematics will be administered by schools during spring of 2019. The testing window for stand-alone field tests on computers is Monday, May 20 to Friday, June 7, 2019. Schools that select CBT as their field-testing format will be notified of their field-testing subject and grade level in the spring by the Office of State Assessment.
- Information on the New York State Question Sampler
- Documentation: Equation Editor Drawing Tool, Quick Reference Guide 2018-19
- New Resource: ELA Response Box Sampler
- New Resource: Equation Editor Sampler
- Getting Started Tips: I am new to CBT, where do I begin?- A list of administration steps, helpful articles, and resources on CBT Support to help a school organize a successful CBT administration in the spring.
- Nextera Setup and Installation Guide (Updated for the 2018-19 School Year)
- Questar System Requirements (Desktop/Laptop and Mobile/Tablet)
- Device System Scan Tool - Determine if testing devices meet system requirements
- Testing Readiness Check Tool - Determine if your classrooms and schools have the right resources to test online