Skip to main content

Report an Improper Disclosure

Please do NOT include any information in this form that would constitute student personally identifiable information.*  If we need further information regarding your complaint, SED will contact you.

How do I make a privacy complaint or report a student data privacy breach?

A privacy complaint must be made electronically using this form. The complaint will be reviewed by:

Chief Privacy Officer
NYS Education Department
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12234

Please complete the form thoroughly, including sufficient detail which will allow for the complaint to be investigated.

Who may file a complaint?

A complaint may be made by a parent or parents of a student or eligible student (a student who is at least 18 years of age or attending a postsecondary institution at any age), principals, teachers, and employees of an educational agency.

May a complaint be filed anonymously?

An anonymous complaint will be accepted and investigated if it contains enough information regarding the nature of the complaint and the parties involved. It is preferred that the complaint identify the person making the complaint (complainant). Please note that it may be impossible to properly investigate or respond to an anonymous complaint if the original complaint does not provide enough information and does not provide an individual contact who can supplement or clarify the information submitted.

Will a third party named in a complaint be contacted by the Chief Privacy Officer?

Third parties named in a complaint will be contacted and the contents and details of the complaint disclosed. The complainant's identity will be disclosed if necessary to complete the investigation and review.

*PII (Personally Identifiable Information) is generally defined as any data from the student records of an educational agency that could potentially be used, alone or in combination with other data elements, to identify a particular student, or teacher or principal annual professional performance review (APPR) data. For more information on FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act), which is the federal law that protects the privacy of student education records, go to the U.S. Department of Education FERPA website.


To submit a complaint or report, please access the form from the following link:

Report an Improper Disclosure Form