The Writing Environment is Positive, Invites Creativity and Time is Allocated to Experiment and Play with Language
Strengthening Verbs While Having Fun
This can be adapted for grades 6-8 by encouraging the use of more sophisticated vocabulary and phrasing.
- Fold a sheet of paper in half
- Label one column NOUNS
- Label the other column VERBS
- Individually students generate a list of common nouns
- Teacher shares results with whole class on chart paper or ELMO
- Student select an occupation such as “chef” or “athlete”
- In the second column, students generate a list of verbs that describe the actions by people in that occupation. For example, saute´, marinate, chop, whip, mince,etc.
- Invite students to play with the combinations, beginning as phrases then expanding into a sentence. For example, Dinosaurs marinated the earth; The fiddles whipped into action as the conductor raised her baton; The muscles fried their power at the end of the marathon.
- Encourage students to place the verb right after the noun to avoid the neutered verbs.