Transitional C (Intensive) Alternative Teacher Preparation Program
On September 17, 1999, the Board of Regents adopted new requirements for teacher education programs. The regulations provided the opportunity for institutions of higher education (IHEs) to offer teacher education programs tailored to the needs of career changers and others holding appropriate graduate academic or professional degrees. Based on the higher standards for all teachers, Transitional C programs allow candidates to enter teaching while participating in a college program for pedagogical core study.
Click below for information on intensive (Transitional C) teacher certification.
- Summary of Requirements for Transitional C Certificate Candidates
- Institutions Offering Intensive (Transitional C) Programs
- Part 52.21(b)(3)(xvi) of Commissioner’s Regulations
(Intensive Program – Transitional C Certificate)
- Part 80-5.14 of Commissioner’s Regulations (Transitional C Certificate)
- Program Applications for Institutions
Updates on the Alternative Teacher Preparation Programs
If you have general questions about teacher certification requirements, such as courses you have taken, your background, or what pathway into teaching in New York is best for you, please contact the Office of Teaching Initiatives (OTI) at email@example.com or (518) 474-3901. The Office of Teaching Initiatives website contains many helpful links to information about teaching in New York.