Skip to main content

Search Google Appliance

Search Google Appliance

Closure of Dowling College

Posted February 22, 2017

Dowling College closed effective August 31, 2016.

  • Transcripts and Replacement Diplomas: the Registrar of Long Island University(LIU) is the custodian of Dowling College’s student records. You may... 
    • contact LIU for Dowling College transcripts and replacement diplomas,
    • or submit a Dowling College transcript request directly to 
  • College Catalog: Dowling College catalogs are available at

Degree Conferral by the New York State Board of Regents


Former Dowling College students may apply for a Regents diploma if they meet all of the following criteria:

  • were enrolled in Dowling College at the time of its closure; and
  • had 15 credits or less remaining to complete their registered Dowling program; and
  • are able to complete those credits at other colleges within 3 years from the closure of Dowling College (i.e., by August 31, 2019); and
  • apply to the New York State Education Department no later than December 31, 2019. 

There are two methods by which an application for degree award for an eligible student may be submitted to the State Education Department:

  1. College Recommendation
    The institution at which the former Dowling student completes the required credits may conduct a degree audit and attest to the Department that the student completed the Dowling degree program.    


  1. Student Application 
    Eligible students may apply directly to the State Education Department for a Regents diploma. If you are a former Dowling College student who meets the stated application criteria, please complete and submit the Dowling Student Application for a Regents Diploma.

    You may append information as needed. There is no application fee.  

Under either method, the Department will assess the application to confirm completion of all requirements of the Dowling College program. If the Department finds that an eligible student has completed all requirements of the registered Dowling program, it will recommend the student for a Regents diploma.

Please note:

Degree awards, resulting from an approved application, must be made by a vote of the Board of Regents. This means that degree petitions must be set up for review at a meeting of the Board. The Board of Regents will make awards on a periodic basis, considering other demands on the Board and the volume of applications. The Department cannot guarantee that an award application will be considered at any given meeting of the Board of Regents.


Note: Students who were enrolled in Dowling College at the time of its closure and have more than 15 credits remaining to complete their Dowling program should seek opportunities to transfer their credits to another college and complete a program at that institution.


New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) and Other NY Financial AidGrants, and Scholarships

TAP and other New York financial aid programs are administered by the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC):


Questions about U.S. Federal financial aid programs should be directed to the Federal Student Aid office: 

Supported by the U.S. Department of Education, this resource offers help to students affected by college closures. Students can use the site to contact experienced financial aid and academic counselors for guidance about how to continue their studies.