NYSSB - School Notification Form
School Notifiction Form - Schools will inform the NYS Education Department of their intent to establish or continue a Seal of Biliteracy program each year they intend to offer the Seal by submitting the online NYSSB School Notification Form no later than December 1st. This is true even if no element of their program has changed. Required in this form will be committee member information as well as program details (e.g. assessment rubrics). It is recommended to download a template of the School Notification Form in either Word or PDF (see downloadable documents at the bottom of this page) so as to see the data that needs to be collected before filling out the online form.
The following updates have been made to this form:
- Deadline - The previous deadline to submit this form was January 10th, however, as part of the updating and streamlining process, the future deadline to submit this form will be December 1st, starting in the 2019-20 school year.
- Cohorts – High schools will submit enrollment data on the following cohorts of seniors that may pursue the NYSSB:
- Number of Former/Ever ELLs
- Number of current ELLs who scored at least “Expanding” on the most recent NYSESLAT exam
- Number of Never ELLs who speak a (home) language other than English
- Number of seniors enrolled in a Checkpoint C world language course
- Languages – High schools will report the languages spoken by the first three cohorts listed above as well as the languages taught at their school.
- School demographics – High schools will report data on total enrollment, % of students classified as ELLs, % of students classified as eligible for Free or Reduced Lunch, and racial demographics of the 9th-12th grade students in their school.
- Seal of Biliteracy Committee – the five (5) required roles that must be filled on this committee are pre-identified. Schools will fill these in first and add additional committee members below.
- Criteria to earn the NYSSB – High schools will anticipate the potential ways in which their students will most likely earn the required 6 points towards the NYSSB.
NYC DOE schools will be contacted by the Division of Multilingual Learners in the fall to provide this information.
All other schools outside of the NYC area (including NYC Charter Schools) will submit this form electronically by December 1 using the following link.
Download a form TEMPLATE (Word or PDF) below to see the data that must be gathered prior to filling out the online form.