Office of Accountability
The Office of Accountability (OA) works to ensure equity and access to high quality educational programs for all students and promote continuous improvement by providing support, resources, and oversight for schools and Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) in New York State.
To accomplish this work, the Office of Accountability is comprised of four units:
Who We Are
The Accountability, Policy and Administration (APA) team is comprised of 6 members and is led by Supervisor, Lisa Long.
What We Do
- Determines the accountability status of schools and districts, including implementation of the self-assessment process for schools with special circumstances
- Identifies the accountability status of schools and districts, including implementation of the self-assessment process for schools with special circumstances, in alignment with the approved New York State ESSA plan
- Registers new public schools and modify the school registration of existing public schools
- Assists in the development of Regents items, regulations, and legislation pertaining to the responsibilities of the Office of Accountability
- Administers Graduate, Undergraduate, Legal & High School Internship Programs (SUNY and Volunteer) and provides other administrative support to the Office of Accountability
- Oversees the classification and accountability status of Transfer High Schools
- Responsible for the review of applications submitted by a school district for a Variance from Section 100.2(a) of the Commissioner’s Regulations (APPR)
|APA Team||(718) 722 - 4553|
General Information Regarding the Accountability of Schools
|Public School Registration||SCHOOLREGISTRATION@nysed.gov|
|Self Assessment Schools||SELFASSESSMENT@nysed.gov|
Who We Are
ESSA-Funded Programs is comprised of approximately 25 members and is led by Director, Erica Meaker and the following managers:
Erica Meaker, Director
|ESSA-Funded Programs||Alexandra Pressley, Supervisor|
Jeri Chapman, Supervisor
Lori Genito, Supervisor
What We Do
- The Office of ESSA-Funded Programs administers more than $1.4 billion in federal education funds (ESEA Funds) to Local Education Agencies (LEAs) across the State each year.
- ESEA funds are intended to create a set of interlocking strategies to promote educational equity by providing support to districts and schools as they work to ensure that every student succeeds.
- To further support this the office provides ongoing technical assistance about ESEA-Funded Programs to multiple stakeholder groups, including but not limited to: public school personnel, charter school personnel, nonpublic school personnel, interested third parties, and Commissioner’s Advisory Groups.
|Office of ESSA-Funded Programs - (518) email@example.com|
|School Improvement Funding Questionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|SEDDAS Help Desk||SEDDAS@nysed.gov|
Who We Are
Field Support Services is comprised of approximately 28 members on the following teams: Downstate Field-Based, Upstate Field-Based, Professional Learning and Support Unit and Targeted Improvement Planning and Supports. The supervisor of each team is as follows:
|Field Support Services||Stephen Earley, Director|
|Downstate Field-Based Team||Crystal Cumberbatch, Supervisor|
|Upstate Field-Based Team||Mary Sapp, Supervisor|
|Coordinated Projects Unit||Sandra Herndon, Supervisor|
|Targeted Improvement and Planning and Support Team||
Lisa Long, Supervisor
What We Do
The Field Support Services Team oversees NYSED’s support of identified schools and districts in accordance to New York State’s approved ESSA plan through all stages of improvement process, including:
- Supporting the implementation of Required Actions for identified districts and schools.
- Conducting Needs Assessments at the onset of identification
- Supporting the annual School Comprehensive Education Plans (SCEP), District Comprehensive Improvement Plans (DCIP) Improvement Planning process
- Providing on-going support to Comprehensive Support and Improvement (CSI) schools
The Field Support Services team in the Office of Accountability works in partnership with the state’s Comprehensive Support and Improvement (CS) schools, Targeted Support and Improvement (TSI) schools, and Target Districts to support their improvement efforts.
For any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our team through the contact information provided below:
|Albany Field Support Office||
|Brooklyn Field Support Office||
|Stephen Earley, Director, Field Supportemail@example.com|
|Crystal Cumberbatch-Greene, Supervisor, Downstate Field-Based Teamfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mary Sapp, Supervisor, Upstate Field-Based Teamemail@example.com|
|School Improvement Planning Questionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|District Improvement Planning Questionsemail@example.com|
|Needs Assessment and Other Required Actions Questionsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Coordinated Projects Unitemail@example.com|
|Targeted Improvement and Planning and Supportsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Who We Are
The Metrics team is comprised of 7 members and is led by Psychometrician, Jennifer Todd.
What We Do
- Determines the accountability status of schools and districts, including Schools in Good Standing, Comprehensive Support and Improvement Schools, Targeted Support and Improvement Schools, and Target Districts using federally approved methodology. Also determines Recognition Schools and Participation Rate Improvement Plan statuses.
- Measures the Demonstrable Improvement of schools in Receivership using Demonstrable Improvement Indicators.
- Calculates the English Language Proficiency and Student Growth indicators for use in Institutional Accountability.
- Calculates principal and teacher State-provided growth.
- Supports educators in understanding accountability metrics.
- Manages accountability databases and develops business rules for data collection.
- Collaborates with Information Reporting Services (IRS) in operationalizing new accountability metrics for public reporting.
- Facilitates the use of data throughout NYSED, in conjunction with IRS.
|General Information Regarding the Accountability of Schools||ACCOUNTINFO@nysed.gov|
|Demonstrable Improvement Status of Schools in Receivership||ACCOUNTINFO@nysed.gov|
|Growth and English Language Proficiency measures||ACCOUNTINFO@nysed.gov|